Restorative Procedures in Houston, TX
Restorative dentistry refers to procedures that address oral health problems to restore the function or appearance of the mouth. Travis Walding DDS is proud to offer a variety of these procedures to help the patients of Houston, TX achieve optimal oral health.
What can be treated with restorative dentistry?
These procedures can be used to treat teeth that are worn, decayed, or damaged in some way. They can also replace teeth that have been lost.
Types of dental restoration
There are two types of restoration:
- Direct tooth restoration: involves the direct placement of the restoration, specifically a filling, onto the affected tooth. There are several options available for the type of material used for the filling. Your dentist will choose the material most appropriate for your case depending on the location of the filling.
- Indirect: when the restoration is not placed directly onto the tooth, it is made in a dental laboratory. This includes customized tooth replacements such as crowns, onlays, and inlays. Indirect tooth restorations require at least two separate appointments because the tooth must be prepared and have an impression taken before the restoration can be completed and placed.
Restorative dentistry procedures
- Fillings: used to treat dental cavities. The decay is removed, and the filling material (composite is most often used) is used to replace the tooth structure.
- Crowns: completely cover a tooth. They can be used in a variety of ways, including to hold together a broken tooth and to treat a tooth with a large cavity.
- Inlays/onlays: similar to dental crowns but cover only part of the tooth.
Teeth that have been lost or extracted can also be treated with restorative dentistry. Options available include bridges, partials, dentures, and dental implants.
- Dental bridge: relies on neighboring teeth to attach the dental prosthetic that bridges the gap in the teeth
- Dentures/partials: a dental prosthetic worn on the gums to restore the function and appearance of a smile
- Dental implants: the dental prosthetic is fixed to small metal posts inserted into the jawbone
Several factors will be considered when selecting the restorative procedure for you, including the physical condition of your mouth and your budget. Your dentist at Travis Walding DDS will discuss your options with you in Houston, TX.