Dental Exams and Cleanings in Houston, TX
A preventive program is a cooperative effort between both you as the patient and our team at the office. The intent of our exams and cleanings is to identify and eliminate oral disease which will help preserve the health of the natural dentition and surrounding tissue as much as possible.
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed by Dr. Walding at your initial dental visit. At that exam, and at regular check-up exams, Dr. Walding and the hygienist will conduct the following:
- Examination of diagnostic x-rays (radiographs): Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss. X-rays also help determine tooth and root positions.
- Oral cancer screening: Check the face, neck, lips, tongue, throat, tissues, and gums for any signs of oral cancer.
- Gum disease evaluation: Check the gums and bone around the teeth for any signs of periodontal disease.
- Examination of tooth decay: All tooth surfaces will be checked for decay with special dental instruments.
- Examination of existing restorations: Check current fillings, crowns, etc.
- Removal of calculus (tartar): Calculus is hardened plaque that has been left on the tooth for some time and is now firmly attached to the tooth surface. Calculus forms above and below the gum line and can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Removal of plaque: Plaque is a sticky, almost invisible film that forms on the teeth. It is a growing colony of living bacteria, food debris, and saliva. The bacteria produce toxins (poisons) that inflame the gums. This inflammation is the start of periodontal disease!
- Teeth polishing: Remove stain and plaque that is not otherwise removed during tooth brushing and scaling.
A routine visit regimen will ultimately keep you from having more severe dental issues occur which also promotes your body’s overall health!